There’s nothing fake about fake phone numbers—they’re real numbers purchased from providers that can be used to make calls, send and receive texts, and start voice calls. It would be more apt to call them temporary phone numbers. They last a limited time but come in handy in various situations:
- Getting an annoying person off your back
- Verifying an account
- Publishing contact information on public websites
- Contacting job applicants
- Calling or texting someone temporarily
- Setting up numbers without contacting a phone company
- Avoiding the costs of a burner phone
Fake phone number apps are abundant online, and they can generate a temporary number within minutes.
What Is a Fake Phone Number?
Fake phone numbers are temporary, virtual numbers generated by various apps and online forwarding services. Calls to a fake number are forwarded to the phone it's assigned to. The number is functional for a predetermined amount of time before it gets deactivated.
Here’s an overview of many things you can do with a fake phone number:
|Can I Use a Fake Number For||Yes/No|
|Maintaining contact for longer periods||No|
How Do I Obtain a Valid Fake Phone Number?
There are many ways to get a functional fake phone number:
- Buying a burner phone—You can head down to the nearest Walmart or Target and purchase a burner phone. They are expensive but provide you with a functional phone and number you can use for different purposes
- Googling “fake phone numbers”—The simplest way to get a functional fake number is to look one up online. You won’t be able to use it to make calls or send texts, but it might come in handy if a service asks you for a valid number. Keep in mind that the numbers might have been used if they’re posted online
- Using a fake phone number app—There are thousands of fake phone number apps available online, each having benefits and downsides. They tend to be cheaper than burner phones but lacking in effectiveness
Take a look at some of the benefits and downsides of using these methods:
Googling fake numbers
Fake number apps
Why Should I Use a Fake Phone Number Generator?
Americans are more reluctant to share their personal information than ever before. Over 80% are worried that their information may be leaked or accessed during a hack. Providing a fake number to people or businesses helps keep your info safe.
Another benefit of using a temporary phone number is the ability to sign up for services that require phone verification. Online payment services, such as Venmo and PayPal, require verification, and some users require multiple accounts. Unless you have multiple phones to spare, a temporary phone number would be the most effective solution.
DoNotPay Can Generate a Fake Phone Number for Verification Within Minutes
To avoid paying lots of money for burner phones or ineffective fake number generators, you should use DoNotPay to create temporary phone numbers. Our app provides you with the quickest and most convenient phone number generator that will work for any app’s verification process.
Follow these steps to get a temporary phone number:
- Open DoNotPay in your web browser
- Navigate to the Burner Phone section
- Enter the name of a service that asked you for phone verification and press Create a temporary number
- Use the number to receive a confirmation text or code
The number lasts for ten minutes. Even though it gets deactivated after that, you can keep using the service. Unlike burner phones that come with only one number, we provide our users with multiple temporary numbers per month.
Is There a List of Fake Phone Numbers Online?
If you prefer not to use an app to generate a phone number, you can search for a fake number online. There’s no single list that contains every fake phone number. Multiple websites list numbers that should be usable, but there’s no guarantee that they work. People use them to maintain their privacy or put them in works of fiction to avoid revealing a real person’s number by accident.
Can I Use a Fake Phone Number for Texting?
You can create a fake phone number and receive texts from any real or temporary number. As long as the number is still active, it will function the same way as a real phone number. Once it’s deactivated, you won’t be able to send or receive texts from that number.
The Best Part About DoNotPay’s Fake Phone Number Is Its Versatility
Plenty of apps and services require phone number verification. While two-step authentication is a great way to ensure that nobody else can log into your account, you may not always feel comfortable giving something as private as your phone number to big corporations.
If you want to test out the service, but are reluctant to provide your actual phone number, you can use DoNotPay’s randomly generated phone number instead. Here are some instances in which DoNotPay can help you bypass phone verification:
Services You Can Use DoNotPay’s Fake Phone Number For
|Tinder Phone Verification||Gmail Account Verification||Venmo Phone Verification|
|Grindr Phone Verification||Fake Phone Number for Twitter||Bypassing Discord Phone Verification|
|Bypassing Instagram Phone Verification||Bypassing PayPal Phone Verification||Bypassing Google Voice Phone Number Verification|
|Uber Phone Number Verification||Fake Phone Number for Facebook||Snapchat Phone Verification|
DoNotPay’s Virtual Credit Card Helps You Sign Up for Various Services
Fake phone numbers and virtual credit cards are used for similar reasons. If you don’t want to provide your real credit card number or need a fake one to sign up for a service, a virtual credit card is an ideal solution.
Many free trials request credit card info before they let you sign up. Once the trial runs out, the subscriptions auto-renew, and you’re stuck with a paid version.
DoNotPay can help you avoid this situation with our free virtual credit card generator. The process is simple:
- We generate a virtual credit card
- You use it to sign up for a free trial
- The service recognizes the card and lets you use the free trial
- The trial ends, and you’re unsubscribed automatically once they detect that there are no funds on the card
Similar to the Burner Phone feature, the virtual credit card generator keeps your info safe by generating a fake card that will let you sign up for any service.
Where Can I Find a Free Fake Phone Number?
Getting a fake or temporary number for free can be challenging. Googling fake numbers comes at no cost, but the numbers you get aren’t reliable.
If a service offers you free numbers, the chances are that they won’t work for most phone verification systems. DoNotPay is an affordable option and provides you with multiple temporary phone numbers at no additional cost.
Other Tasks DoNotPay Can Help You With
You can use our handy robot lawyer to generate a fake phone number for Facebook, Discord, Yahoo, or any other service. If you need to get an ATT burner phone or a fake California number, we’ve got your back!
DoNotPay doesn’t keep all its eggs in one basket—we help users with a bunch of other mundane, daily tasks. We’ll show you how to dispute a parking ticket in any city in the U.S., request Spotify refunds, and even help you lower your bills.
Start using our diverse array of features after accessing our app in your web browser. Take a look at the day-to-day tasks we can simplify:
- Canceling subscriptions or memberships
- Disputing traffic tickets
- Suing people and companies in small claims court
- Scheduling a DMV appointment fast and easy
- Dealing with issues with credit cards
- Jumping the phone queue when getting in touch with customer service reps
- Fighting speeding tickets
- Getting revenge on robocalls
- Getting refunds for delayed or canceled flights
- Contesting parking tickets
- Freeing yourself from spam mail forever
- Dealing with bills you are unable to pay
- Protecting yourself from stalking and harassment
- Stopping text spam
- Applying for clinical trials
- Signing up for other services without phone verification
- Getting refunds from other companies
- Getting in touch with your incarcerated loved ones
- Signing up for free trials risk-free
- Protecting your work against copyright infringement
- Finding any unclaimed funds under your name
How can you spot a fake number? ›
An easy way to find out if a phone number is fake is to call it. The phone number is often a fake if it's disconnected. This works well if you're getting calls or texts from a phone number you suspect is fake. Block the phone number if you get a message that it's disconnected when you call.Does * 67 still work? ›
How to Use *67 on an Android or iPhone. You can prevent your number from appearing on a recipient's phone or caller ID device when you place a call using a smartphone or a traditional landline by pressing *67 followed by the number you want to call.How do I unblock a fake number? ›
- If a call from someone you know is marked as spam, you can report the mistake. Open your device's Phone app phone.
- Tap Recent calls.
- Tap the call mistakenly labeled spam.
- Tap Unblock number and then Unblock.
- Future calls from this number won't be marked as spam.
Sometimes Google is the best way to find information about a phone number! Simply type the phone number into Google and see what comes up. Sometimes Google will bring up some paid lookup options.Can you trace a spoofed number? ›
If you want to know how to trace a spoofed call, you usually need to get law enforcement involved. In other cases, tracing a spoofed phone number can be done using your telephone company. Telephone companies can sometimes trace spoof calls back to where they came from.Can a burner number be traced? ›
Generally, a burner phone number can be traced. All mobile phones and burner apps go through a cellular carrier or virtual number operator. Your identity can be tracked via call logs, data usage, location, and text messages. Law enforcement can compel companies to provide this information.What does * 82 mean on a cell phone? ›
*82 - Unblocks Caller ID on one outbound call
This star code will unblock your caller ID for a single outgoing call if you have previously used *61 to block caller ID for all outbound calls.
To deactivate, dial *87. Block your name and number from appearing on caller ID. Outgoing calls will be displayed as Private, Anonymous or Unavailable.What happens when you dial * 57? ›
Activate Call Trace
Pick up the phone and press *57 (touch tone) or 1157 (rotary). You'll hear a confirmation tone and message will be heard If the trace is successful. You must keep a written log of the date and time of harassing calls to retrieve Call Trace information.
And for our Android users, we have something for you. To block calls from a "Scam Likely" number, dial #662# and then tap the phone icon like you're calling a real person and you're done. This will also work for Apple users.
How do I unlock a block number? ›
- Open your Phone app .
- Tap More .
- Tap Settings. Blocked numbers.
- Next to the number you want to unblock, tap Clear. Unblock.
- Google Voice. Using Google Voice is the best way to interact with someone who has blocked you on your iPhone or Android phone. ...
- TextFree App. ...
- TextMe. ...
- CoverMe. ...
- Smiley Private Texting.
- 2.1 Spylix - The Best Tool to Check Someone's Call History Online for Free. ...
- 2.2 FlexiSpy - Check Someone's Call History Online for Free. ...
- 2.3 XNSPY - Call History Checking App. ...
- 2.4 Spyzie - Call History Checker App. ...
- 2.5 mSpy - Check Someone's Call History.
Find Mobile Number details using Truecaller
It is a very useful and amazing free service. Just visit Truecaller.com and enter the number in the search bar. And it will show you the result including name and email address if it has in its database.
ZLOOKUP and USPhonebook are free options that give results for people and businesses. Go ahead, turn to Google. Type in the person's name and put it in quotes for more accurate results. You can also try adding the area code or a city, or words like “contact,” “number” or “cell.”Is it illegal to spoof someone's phone number? ›
When is spoofing illegal? Under the Truth in Caller ID Act, FCC rules prohibit anyone from transmitting misleading or inaccurate caller ID information with the intent to defraud, cause harm or wrongly obtain anything of value. Anyone who is illegally spoofing can face penalties of up to $10,000 for each violation.Can a virtual number be traced? ›
Anyone who is claiming here that VoIP can't be traced they are completely wrong. Any calling service that links to the official cellular network must have a way to be traced or authorities won't allow it's protocols to be linked with the official celluar network.How can you tell if a private number is real? ›
- Use Phone/Dialer App to Reconnect to the Private Caller.
- Use Truecaller App to Find Caller Identity of a Private Number.
- Bonus Tip: Use Caller ID App to Get Notified of Incoming Calls.
One identifying characteristic of real numbers is that they can be represented over a number line. Think of a horizontal line. The center point, or the origin, is zero. To the right are all positive numbers, and to the left are the negative points.